By Orevaoghene Eredoro




Obaisi Ovie Omo-Agege

Obaisi Ovie Omo-Agege

The collation officer for the Delta Central senate election, Prof Okagbara has declared the election inconclusive with a rerun in sight.


The decision to declare the election inconclusive we learnt was sequel to unresolved conflict bordering on claims by the two major contenders, Obaisi Ovie Omo-Agege and Chief Ighoyota Amori, of victory over one another.


It was widely believed that Obaisi scored the highest votes count, a claim Amori fans punctured asserting in the contrary that Amori won the election.


There was pandemonium on Monday March 30, 2015 at the INEC office in Ughelli North Local Government Area of Delta State, where the result of the Delta Central Senatorial election was collated.


The upheaval started when the Labour Party faithful began to gather at the INEC office, alleging that the results have been collated and the Senatorial candidate of the Labour Party, Obaisi Ovie Omo-agege has emerged the winner but the collation officers are planning to switch the results and declare the Peoples’ Democratic Party Senatorial Candidate, Chief Ighoyota Amori the winner.



Chief Ighoyota Amori

Chief Ighoyota Amori

Just when the soldiers from the 222 Battalion has gained control of the situation, the arrival of the Labour Party candidate at the collation centre ignited another fire of fury in the Labour Party faithful that were protesting.


Market women, motorcyclists (Okada men) and youths started appearing from all angles to the scene of the protest chanting “we nor go gree o”, “no more rigging” with leaves in their hands which they got from the unlucky plants around the area of the protest.


The pressure from the protesters soon became unbearable for the security men that were trying to keep the calm, so they resorted to launching tear gas to disperse the protesters. The tear gas achieved its aim as the protesters on seeing feeling its impact took to their heels.


The act however, brought the protest to another level as the protesters refused to be intimidated. They mounted a road block on the way leading to and from the INEC office. They confiscated the tyres of a vulcanizer whose shop was along the road of the protest and set the tyres ablaze to express their fury.


As they went irate, shop owners began to close their shops and within a space of 30minutes there was reinforcement from the 222 Battalion and a great calm was restored to the place. None of the protesters were seen again as everyone vanished into the thin air  within seconds. It did not take long before normalcy was restored.