By Hillary Obayangbon, Accra

 

Demolished apartments of the Nigeria High Commission

The Government of Ghana has promised to rebuild Nigeria’s High Commission staff quarters demolished by some unknown persons in that country.

Ghana’s President Nana Akufo-Addo had earlier apologized to Nigeria after a building inside the Nigerian High Commission compound in Accra was demolished.

The minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama, who announced this while fielding questions from journalists in Abuja, also faulted Nigerian officials in Ghana for not obtaining the necessary documents for the land despite making payment since 2000.

According to him, “This was clearly an error on the side of our embassy. We will learn from that and I think that our documentary, record keeping and processing will need to be sharpened.

‘’This is something that happened in 2000 and the officials are no longer in service anymore and I think we rather just learn from the mistakes made there and ensure we are more legal whenever we are engaging in legal and administrative issues in all our Missions.”

Onyeama, however, expressed satisfaction with the steps taken by Ghana on the issue, saying they have taken responsibility for the issue.

He said, “This thing happened just a few days ago and investigations are being carried on but the proper thing here is that Ghanaian government assumed responsibility for the damage and is going to give a full redress to the Nigerian government.”

On when work will commence and be completed on the new building, Onyema said the Nigerian High Commission will negotiate with the Ghanaian government.

Earlier, in a statement, Ghana’s Foreign Af- fairs and Regional Integration minister, Shirley Ayorkor Botchwey, said two individuals who were suspected to have carried out the demolition have been arrested and are currently being interrogated.

…Strengthen safety measures Ghana govt tells organizations

Meanwhile, the government has asked organizations to strengthen their safety measures to curb the spread of the Coronavirus (COVID-19) disease among staff.

According to the Minister of Information, Mr Kojo Oppong Nkrumah, available data indicates that most of the new COVID-19 cases are being recorded from workplaces.

At a press conference in Accra on Thursday, Mr Oppong Nkrumah said “some of the new cases that are coming are predominately coming from workplaces. While we are tempted to believe that it is coming from the general community spread, the details are suggesting that most of the significant numbers are concentrated within workplaces.”

He therefore implored institutions to intensify their COVID-19 preventive measures in order to check the spread of the virus.

“We have to take the safety protocols very seriously because as I am suggesting, the data tells us that the significant number of the new cases that we are recording are coming from workplaces,” he added.

As at Thursday, June 25, Ghana’s COVID-19 case count had increased to 15,472.

The new cases were reported in 34 districts within nine regions of the country.

Also, 352 persons have also recovered from the disease bringing the total number of recoveries to 11,433.

The death toll remains 95.